Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help! Car is building no boost and making funny whirrring sound...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Car is building no boost and making funny whirrring sound...

At first it'd make this whirrring sound when I put a little bit of load on the car but I'd be building no boost.... and then at like 3000 rpms it'd like catch and boost would build and that whirring sound would disappear and my usual spooling sound would commence. Now, all I get is the whirring sound and no boost is being built.

I checked the wastegate actuator and it appears to be working properly. I could pull on the arm and it wasn't disconnected. It was in the closed position. I'm assuming the whirring sound is the turbo spinning too as it only sounds when I put load on the car. My boost gauge reads into the vacuum during normal driving and when I accelerate I get a 0 reading on boost. I don't believe I have a boost leak anywhere as it was doing that before and then all a sudden boost fine to 19psi. Could it be the manual boost controller? Is my turbo shot? I have a Perrin mbc that I've owned for over 8+ years (2003 evo) and hasn't caused me any issues ever although it's probably nearing the end of it's life? It doesn't sound like my turbo is shot but I'm willing to try almost anything now.

The car starts up, idles, and drives fine normally other than when I'm trying to accelerate where the turbo normally assists. I've searched the forums but haven't seen a situation like this occur elsewhere.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull off the intake and spin the turbo by hand. Check for shaft play in and out and side to side. Also make sure it spins freely without resistance or dragging.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
Account Disabled

u check vac. lines on mbc? might have a hole in it
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

also check your cuplers because if it is building no boost at all a.the turbo is bad or b. a coupler came off. how is the car driving other wise. i doubt your timing is off that would be another reason the car wouldnt build boost i highly doubt that is your problem. check all the couplers.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:28 AM

Okay, I checked the vacuum lines and they are fine. There aren't any holes in them. The couplers are fine too, no leaks anywhere. Like I said, the car starts, idles, drives fine. It's just whenever I try to accelerate where the turbo would begin to spool is where I'm gettin that whiiirrring sound and building no boost pressure at all.

I don't know how to check for shaft play, but the blades spin freely. The blade section on the intake side does move in and out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch... I'm assuming that's not normal.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i assume you did a boost leak test already? I would also suggest checking your exhaust manifold bolts make sure its tight and not leaking as well.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

It definitely shouldnt be close to 1/4-1/2" of movement but i am hoping that you are just bad at estimating distance lol.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is ok for the turbo to move side to side a few millimeters, but you should not be able to pull the comp. wheel in and put.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Bad thrust bearing in the turbo by sounds of it. Funnieguy = sadguy.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ lol @211rats, better pull it off before it starts shoving metal pieces into your motor...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by black_beauty
^^^ lol @211rats, better pull it off before it starts shoving metal pieces into your motor...
I did and got my white turned into a 71hta fap
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:14 AM

I think the turbo is toast. I could start seeing white smoke out of my exhaust when I started accelerating a little bit harder. The car still idles fine though but that white smoke is starting to worry me. I think it's time to put the car under the knife and fine a new turbo. When the turbo isn't spooling (or trying to) there isn't any white smoke which I'm assuming is burning oil.

I'll probably take some pictures of it when I have the chance to pull the turbo out of the car. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your turbocharger bearings are done for. Pull the turbo off and have its bearings refurbished and the wheels checked for blade damage. Any qualified and reputable turbo shop can do the bearings. Or you may to want to upgrade to a better turbo option at this time. Dump your crankcase oil and refill with new oil and replace the oil filter with a new one.